Sunday, October 17, 2010

Futurama has me in stitches

Sometimes I fear we are cute...
Continuing on my sci-fi stitching kick after the Adventures of Rocketgirl, I decided to turn my embroidery needle to something a little simpler, a little softer, a little...cuter.

Behold, Lord Nibbler the Nibblonian from Futurama!

He may not look very regal in this pose, but make no mistake, he'll vaporize you with his kitten-class attack ship (unless you can fight him off with a folding chair).

His likes include devouring hams (and live animals) whole, being scratched behind the ears, and messing with the space/time continuum. His dislikes include intergalactic pet pageants, flying brains, and high-velocity mail.
He's stitched up with back stitch, satin stitch, long-and-short stitch, and french knots. Click the picture for a closer look. He stands (well, sits) around three inches tall, and is mounted in a four-inch frame.
I wish I could take credit for the stuffed ham in the first picture, but alas, I am not that crafty a sewer. That delicious-looking plushy is from Sweet Meats, which gets extra points for wrapping their fuzzy creations in deli paper.

I'm contemplating more Futurama-themed stitching projects, since the art style lends itself so well to it. I have an image of a scuttling Zoidberg that would make an interesting piece, as well as some funny Bender pictures. We'll see, though. I'm 1/3 of the way through an involved Dia de los Muertos embroidery project I would like to finish by the end of the month, and then the holidays loom near. Which I'm so not thinking about right now, not with Halloween around the corner!

4 comments:

Becky said...

I love and fear that little guy! Beautiful craft work, as always.

Sherezada said...

Thanks, Becky!

Drake Sigar said...

That’s so cute! Oops, we’re not supposed to use the C word around Nibbler’s race, right?

Perhaps you’d consider doing something with 25 star general Zap Brannigan, who holds the majority of my favourite Futurama quotes.

“Kif, I have made it with a woman. Inform the men.”

"What makes a good man go neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?!"

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards... checkmate."

Sherezada said...

Thanks, Drake!

Don't forget the Zapp classics:

"You win again, gravity!"

Or

"Let me show you why they call me the Velour Fog."